Sunday, February 15

Considering Thanks

I've always had to accept even the idea of faith by faith.

It's easier for me to believe in the One that I cannot see than it is to define what that believing is.

Sometimes it seems as though faith is something I deliberately, determinedly choose.

Sometimes faith lands in my lap like an unwarranted, sigh of relief gift.

Our friend Chris says, "Faith is the currency of Heaven..."

That is, God is moved by faith ~ He responds to belief in Him; He saves, gives, acts in response to our acknowledgment of Him.

Chris goes on to say, "Thankfulness is the language of faith."

That changes my perception of faith and gratitude. I'm prone to thanking God in an effort to stave-off potential wrath or the withholding of future goodness. Do you know what I mean? I've got it pretty good and I'd better be thankful because otherwise God might not give to me next time. Worse, He might take from me next time.

But if Chris is correct then I've been approaching both thanks and belief all wrong. He used the example of the five loaves and three fish: One day there wasn't enough food around to feed the crowd that had gathered to listen to Jesus teach. Jesus took the bit there was (a bit of bread and fish), thanked the Father for it, and proceeded to feed thousands of hungry mouths.

What if, Chris wonders, we thank God for what we already have while believing it will become what we need?

Staggering! Simple, but knock-ya'-over life changing. Instead of just thanking retrospectively, we could practice thanking hopefully. "I see what You've done already, God; thank you for what is to come."

We're not wealthy, but we have some money. Can we begin to thank God (not flinching in fear that He'll take away from us) for what He's provided, understanding that what we have can become what we need?

Could we approach every aspect of our lives in this way: relationally, emotionally (what would this do to depression?), health-wise (would this invite wholeness?). Are we lacking in something? Is there an area where we do not have enough? What if we thanked for the bit that we already have, expectantly waiting for God to multiply it to fill the entire need?

It's the difference between saying "Thank you" because I'm a dutiful and good girl and saying "Thank you" because the Giver is good and I believe Him to be so.

What do you think?



No comments: