Tuesday, January 6

Wrist Slap

Open rebuke. Blatant disdain. I was in trouble and floundering for words to defend myself, my faith, my reasoning.

Word got out that we'd helped a recently laid-off senior with some grocery money. A very little grocery money. Too little? I'd wondered at the time. But the gentle God-nudge seemed clear: Give just so much. So we did. And, as always, we didn't give it another thought. A floating encounter. An opportunity to serve, to help. An offering to our One ~ so small, so full of hope that it will be cup-of-water efficient.

But now the information was on the lips of an angry neighbor. "You need to stop that!"

"Stop? Stop what?"

"Stop taking away from your own grocery money to buy somebody else stuff."

"But it's not like that," I protest. "Not at all. We have a little set aside for this sort of thing. We have enough for ourselves and just have that teeny bit put aside to give away." How on earth did she find out about this anyway? I wonder to myself.

"Yeah. But my point is that times are tight and getting worse and you need to keep that money that you've been giving away for yourself. Then, when things get better, you can give stuff away again."

I don't know what to say so I mumble something about tough times being the best time to give because people are really needing the hand-up. My friend is unimpressed by my logic. I try a different approach, explaining that our faith and our giving are intertwined: God is so good to us, we want to give.

"Whatever! I give and give and give and I don't get nothin' in return."

"I hear you, but that's not the sort of return I'm talking about. We're rich in so many things: healthy kiddo's, healthy us, amazing friendships, work..."

"It doesn't matter. Stop throwing your money away and keep it for yourself!"

I'm so puzzled by her obvious anger and impatience that I fall silent and eventually change the subject. Endless weeks of subzero temperatures provide much conversation fodder, thankfully!

I leave my friend, feeling unsettled and gloomy. Kindness doesn't come off as strength or smarts. Generosity looks foolish, illogical. And we don't know if we're on the right course or not. Are we hearing God in these give-away moments? Are we being foolish, too soft? We'd stop right away if we thought we were in error. Will the Living Jesus reach into human struggle and bring salvation, rescue, redemption as we live faithfully in this small obedience?

I have no idea. No idea. My wrist is smarting from the sting of the afternoon's reprimand. I feel it's echoed complaint in both the secular and Christian world all around. But, I admit, I don't want to change my enlarging mindset in this. Years ago, when I began the process of losing weight, I asked my God to expand my understanding of His love, His generosity, His mercy. I asked Him to help me stop withholding.

It's natural to hold back on forgiveness and care and mercy and material help. We fear that by letting go we'll leave ourselves exposed to loss and want. What if the way of God is broader, more freeing and wild than we've imagined? What if there's enough to give? And give. And give.

May the giving of our small offerings exemplify the expansive generosity of God ~ the One who gave everything.

5 comments:

Linda said...

Maybe she just wants some grocery money too, given her way for free :) Keep on! As soon as I start feeling greedy and selfish, I know it's time to give something away. I hope you're not eating too many M&Ms at midnight :)

Don Buschert said...

i guess it comes down to that still, small voice that once listened to and obeyed; then we're the happiest. there's times i give and other times i do not give. so much for consistancy. about a year ago i flew back from jacksonville and got to the atlanta airport well after 7pm. i was hungry, tired and decided to eat at Wendy's at the airport. i got a burger with the fresh beef and all plus fries...outside my regular diet but a real treat. i had but two bites left in my burger when along came a lady begging me for food. her timing was impeccable; had it been two minutes earlier i would have considered sharing my meal. instead i politly turned away her request...i was tired, hungry and VERY selfish at that point. i wonder sometimes if we enable those less fortunate to REMAIN less fortuanate by feeling sorry for them? i guess i want to help peole but also see them overcome thier own area of darkness. and that's where the still small voice comes in...

Sandra said...

Interesting perspective, Don. My hope is to err on the side of grace. I do not feel sorry for the folks that we encounter. I do feel challenged by their circumstance and so pray that they will feel honored, even dignified, in our exchanges. I do not feel an us-and-them emotion, but a Jesus-and-them sensitivity.

My place here, our place as followers of Christ, servants of God, children, Beloved, etc., is to conduit the Love of the One who is LOVE. Judgment of the error, weakness, sin, waywardness of another is up to Jesus (the One whom God deemed Judge).

If I understand Scripture correctly (and I often don't!) the only circumstances in which we are to point out (or even spend time thinking about) the sin of another is when we spot it in another Christian. And even then (amidst our gently rebuking, correcting, teaching) we are to be mindful of the tree stump lodged in our own perspective relative to the toothpick in our fellow believer's.

Our hungry, freezing, addicted, troubled friends may always wrestle with their demons (just as we will likely wrestle with our own: crticism, judgment, self-righteousness). May we learn from their affliction and repent of our own. And may we share the same free-gift generosity that Jesus has offered so unquestioningly to us.

He never asked, when He offered me Life, if I was going to abuse His gift. He just gave it. I'm eager to spend a lifetime learning how to respond in kind. I'm guessing you are, too.

Anonymous said...

I think it best to always err on the side of generosity.

It is sad that not everyone thinks the same.

Sandra said...

You're right. Do you find that you have lots of chances to live that perspective out in practical ways? It'd be cool to hear the story(s) behind that perspective...

This is a complex issue in our culture, I think? We are all about having and getting and wanting and self. To stretch our understanding of the need of others in a way that it touches our own time, finances, space, and faith we must let go of I'd-never-become-like-them thinking.

That means that, as one who has been practicing sharing for many years (with each encounter chipping off another teeny bit of selfish thinking and religious posturing), I am no more permitted to withhold from people who struggle with generosity than I am given the okay to withhold from the poor, the marginalized, the obviously broken.

And that further complicates the journey! I'm very good at judging judgmental people! Lol. Which, of course, simply makes me a judge of a different sort!

I don't know the whole story of the people who turn in disgust from an open-palmed request for "bus money" or a pack of smokes. They have their own process and relationship with God to work out.

I can learn something of discretion and restraint from their struggle, or I can, just as wrongly, turn from THEM, repulsed by what I perceive to be their greed.

And 'round and 'round we go!

Thoreau says, "Simplify, simplify." So. We move forward one imperceptible step at a time in learning to love well.