Monday, August 27

Answers? Anyone?

Today I flipped my Bible open and came across one of the most amazing prayers to be found between it's pages. So I named my list of "People to Pray For" and used God's own words in my conversation with Him about them.

But there's a verse in the middle of Paul's prayer that got me ~ it's making me think differently about God's love ~ it's helping me see our own vulnerability and struggle differently.

Here's the prayer (Ephesians 3:16-21):

I pray that out of His glorious riches He may strengthen you with power through His Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith.
And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge ~ that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

Question: What do you think "...being rooted and established in love, may have power... to grasp..." means? Why does grasping the depth of God's love require power? What sort of power is it?

1 comment:

Erin said...

Hey, I don't know if this helps, but my version of the Bible is "The Message" and it says, "I ask Him to strengthen you by his spirit-not a brute strength but a glorious inner strength-that Christ will live in you as you open the door and invite him in. And I ask Him that with both feet planted firmly on love, you'll be able to take in with all Christians the extravagant dimensions of Christ's love. Reach out and experience the breadth! Test it's length! Plumb the depths! Rise to the heights! Live full lives, full in the fullness of God. God can do anything you know-far more than you can ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams!"

Sometimes I find that all in takes to understand sometimes is another translation.
Love, Erin