Wednesday, April 11

By Example

We're on post-Spring Break-break; school is half-hearted and our hours are filled with reading stacks of books, spring cleaning, and untold hours playing on all manner of electronic games.

This morning my sons and I piled into the cushions on the couch and settled in for a read of our current "couch time" novel, Underground to Canada. Slaves are making their way northward from the horrors of the deep south; north to freedom. We're transfixed by the brave young heroin of the story.

I work my way through one chapter...then another...and I manage to do it without crying. I close the book at a suspenseful moment, a heart-wrending moment.

From his sprawling position next to me, my eleven year old son comments, "There are some really cruel people in this world. People do really evil things." This is sparked by the ugly brutality of one of the slave bosses, a fat, sweating, cold-hearted task master by the name of Sims. His harsh and sudden violence towards the slaves offends us all.

His brothers and I are quiet as he makes his sorrow-tinged observation. Finally, I say, "Yeah. I wonder what we will do to ensure we don't become like them. What will you do?"

Without hesitation, my boy ~~ a challenging, emotional, God-gave-him-to-me-so-that-I-would-be-changed, little man ~~ said, "Well, I have you, Mom. I'll be like you. You're not cruel or evil, and I'll remember the things that you have taught me."

My throat constricts in surprise emotion. The prayer of every mama I know is that God will keep the hearts of our children turned to Him ~~ turned to Love, to Mercy, to Grace. I long with everything in me for the Truth of Jesus to be written indelibly on their hearts and in their minds.

My almost-nine year old adds, "And I think I'll keep myself busy...distracted. If I'm busy doing good, I won't think about doing evil."

And then they're off to do their chores and play, not realizing that they have just solved the problems of the world in two short minutes.

May our eyes be fixed on the One who sets the example of mercy and love; may our hands be put to good use doing good work for that very One.

No comments: